Chalki is a small mountainous island with rocky soil of the Dodecanese with golden sand beaches where the traditional way of life “holds” even. Located west of Rhodes, just 5 miles from the cape of Monolithos. It is 35 nautical miles away of the main port, while is only 11 from Kamiros Scala. The area reaches 28 sq kilometres
Halki is ideal for those who want a holiday away from the stress of the city as the wonderful climate and polite people, make Halki be a “serene of soul and body”. There are roads but few cars. There are no nightclubs or watersports. The landscape is an oasis for “tired” eyes with beautiful mansions built around the picturesque harbor with fishing boats and tranquility. Emborios (or Imporios) is the harbor of the capital of Halki and is currently the only residential area of the island. Amphitheatrically built at the foot of the mountain, consists of tall, two and three floors renovated mansions that they really consist a matchless beautiful traditional village. The city has a stately beauty that reveals samples of last acne- its worth to walk the alleys. Italian architectural style houses and neoclassicals, two floors with a roof, with five windows, large door on each floor and pediment with “eye”, reach the beach and are samples of the past prosperity of the island.
The island is ideal for quiet holidays with hiking where you can discover some of the 360 chapels and the remains of a Venetian castle at the foot of which the ancient capital of the island, Chorio, sleeps. Life on the island is simple and unhurried. You can spend many hours in the sun at any beach of the island you like. And do not forget.. to escape from the absolute quiet, nearby is Rhodes island by which Halki is connected daily. Finally, note that there are no cars or buses on Halki- you will enjoy all routes walking!
1. Pontamos is the only sandy beach that you can walk to starting from the harbor, Imborio, and you will be there in 10 minutes. The road is asphaltic. Above the beach there are restaurants, canteen and umbrellas for sunbathing. (Available access by bus)
2. Ftenagia is behind the church of St. Catherine. Once arrived to the church walk down the rocks from the back side and you will see the beach. The beach is a little rocky beach with is on foot about 15 minutes. This beach is accessible by a car from the road with passes beneath the windmills, but is not asphaltic. There is a tavern and umbrellas for sunbathing. (Available access by bus)
3. The beach at Kania, located north of the center of the island, Imborio, close to the Aquaculture. It is accessibleon foot in about 25 minutes but you can go there on a vehicle as the road is asphaltic. The road starts from Imporio and turns right in the second alley after the school. There is a tavern and umbrellas for sunbathing. (Available access by bus)
4. At Giali beach, you will finda small and pebbled beach, on the south side of the island. The pebbles are white and large. To get there you will need to reach Chorio and then to continue walking down the road in front of the Village. On this beach there is nothing to provide you refreshments etc, so this is something you will need to arrange. This beach is accessible on foot, by car and by boat.
5. A beautiful beach is Trachia a double beach beyond the Pontamos beach. It is accessible only by boat. It is a piece of land that literally goes into the sea creating two beaches.